Aug 12, 2009

Kansas Dugout

I was recently given 9 of these blocks. The lady said it was called Kansas dugout, and I could see why. the blocks are 12" finished and all sewn by hand.I know some would argue of washing before sewing them together, BUT OMG they were icky, being sewn by hand they had that sticky feeling from the oils of our skin. Some of the stitching needs redone, since when these were sewn they only used one length of thread with a huge not at the end. I could not fix these UNTIL they were washed. I love the lingerie bags for this purpose.
I was also given 54 hand sewn 4 patch blocks, and am currently resewing them also,
I am not sure how others would think of resewing the hand sewn blocks.but for me I want to put them into a quilt and would like the blocks to stay together when layered and quilted.I guess to each their own.Thanks for visiting,Have a GREAT blessed day!,Amy

7 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I like those Kansas Dugout blocks. The fabric is great and they washed up beautifully. I don't think I have ever seen that blog before. If you want the block usuable I think you should resew them. Can't wait till Sunday.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I meant block not blog, duh.

Kathy said...

love the block,haven't heard that name or block before, I'll have to study that block design to see if I can make one for myself..K

Cheryl Willis said...

I am a fan of DO WHAT YOU WANT- I have been collecting older blocks for years. I don't plan to re-sew them but you never know. One of these days I am going to have enough to spend a year or two just doing the oldies but goodies. Enjoy your blocks. cw

LuAnn said...

I love your Kansas Dugout blocks. I probably would wash them and resew just like you did. You do two of my favorite things: crocheting and visiting family. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Hope you will visit again soon.
LuAnn

Christina said...

I haven't been on in a while, but I love the new look of your blog!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Fantastic blocks. I, too, would gently wash the old blocks. It helps to get that "old" smell out.