Aug 9, 2009

Can we say Camping?

I would love to invite you into my Mansion on wheels, it is a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler which, means I have a "garage" area that is 8'x12' for my sewing area,I would most definitely not share them pictures right now.For it is way to Unorganized.This is what it looks like from the outside.. My husband,son and myself live in this 365 days out of the year. God forbid if I have to stay in a motel or other temporary housing. This is HOME for ME.Alot of people may think it strange, and by NO means am I justifying what we do.I am simply giving NON construction workers an idea of why and how it is done. With our travel trailer we do not have to worry about deposits for utilities,rent,cable,etc..We have everything in it we need,t.v.,computer,fully functional kitchen,3 sewing machines, quilt frame, yadda,yadda.There are some that do this that spend up to 400 dollars or more a WEEK in a motel plus eating out and being able to half cook.Living this way makes it more cost efficient and portable, since we are never know how long we will be at a job.
An answer to Cheryl's question,I only use 1 long arm quilter right now, she is out of Jonesboro Ar. and does a fantastic job and her turn around is quick.I have also been to some quite nice quilt shops.I have one of the big directories of quilt shops.My husband jokes no quilt shop is EVER lost. true, true.I have also met some quilters in my travels, some that blog, some that do not.
I found this Happy Camper fabric by Cloth works and new it was for "us"

I just wanted to share a little insight to what we do for an honest living.
As for quilting/sewing, I am repairing some very vintage hand sewn blocks.Thanks for visiting,Amy

7 comments:

Becky said...

I didn't realize it was a toy hauler. How perfect for your sewing!! The camping fabric is so cute.
Happy stitching!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Well it isn't that unorganized! I thought it was really nice in there. Living like that does has its advantages for sure.It is long hours and hard work for the people that work those jobs, lots of sacrifice. Kudo's to all of you! Some of the nicest people I have met for sure!

Cheryl Willis said...

I have always wondered how people find their quilters. I don't quilt for the public b/c I can't do dead lines. I have meet several quilters that do work for out of state people. I could totally live out of an RV! Maybe when we 'retire' be good cw

DeAnna said...

Better than living in a motel! You seem to have everything well organized. I assume you home school if your son is school age. I've thought about once our daughter was in college then I could do travel nursing, which is a big portion of the nuring profession. Just sign up with an agency and pick the spots you want to go. We could sell our home buy an RV and spend 13 weeks(the normal contract)at a time in some of the best locations in the U.S. My only problem is that I would need something for my husband to do during those 13 weeks. He's already suggested that he could just play golf. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

hey girlfriend, saw some of that material and instantly thought of you and joey and the rest of your crew--glad that you are in ks now-maybe we can get together or not will talk with you later...Kathy

Jeni said...

I love your 5th wheeler.....
we have a motor home also.... that we go away in .....I would never stay in a motel any more .....
there are just like a home away from home hey
love your material

Molly said...

I would love to live in a RV but I don't think there would be room for my wheelchair and my stash. Your fabric is really "you", how very cute. I think you need a shirt made out of it plus a quilt. Take care.