Sep 13, 2009

Tip Toe through the flowers

I purchased this Grandmothers Flower Garden last yr.I was not sure as to the size or actual condition, but hey the price was "right".Yesterday I took it with me to visit Marlene and her husband.Luckily my husband job made schedule changes,so he could go too.After we enjoyed a very nice breakfast and some fabric shopping at Quilting on the Square in Holton,Ks. we were off to straighten this quilt.

I understand being sewn by hand,things can not always be perfect, but boy oh boy.We had to tape it to Marlenes' HUGE table in her basement.and good thing she is tiny.. I sure as heck was NOT climbing on the table! Good thing too,once a leg sort of shifted and weewww, Joey about grabbed her and ripped her off the table.
Can ya see what sports the men were to hold the rulers? Very brave!!
If I would have had to try and do this alone,it would have been butchered to heck or never got done.Norm measured some of the hexies and at one side was 2.5" and the other would be 2.75".So this quilt was beyond just a little squaring.Needless to say it is Square. and I have some of the flowers left,and am going to hand applique to the outer border to save them.
I just have to share my gorgeous fabric finds. I could not resist this barnyard fabric for my little granddaughter.She is such the little "HAM"...It will be nice for her learning of animals and noises they make.

The owner of the shop has a quilt pattern called Big Block Quilt. You use 1.75 yard of fabric for the center panel then do checkerboard and borders. I fell in love with these horses and the pink bandana fabric that came in the kit.
I asked Joey, pick something a man he worked would like,since I have sold several quilts to co-workers.This is what he picked.
We had a great day visiting.I am hoping we have another couple of months here.
Thanks for visiting,and Happy Stitching,Amy

3 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Amy, I love the collage of photos that you made, they look great. Your new fabric is really nice and I can't wait to see the finished products. It was a lot of fun having you and Joey down to do the quilt, not to mention the breakfast and the shopping. See ya soon.

Becky said...

sounds like you had a great day with great results on the quilt! I also am diggin' your new fabric choices. They will make up nicely! Happy stitching.

Molly said...

Sounds like y'all had way too much fun 8>) Isn't it more fun to do things like this with others instead of just by yourself? Thanks heavens for those quick strong guys, huh? I love your fabrics, you made some great choices there. Good luck with those projects.